Match report for Palace vs CYPR


Well done to all involved in our first league game of the season, a 6-0 demolition of Chaoyang Park Rangers (please see the match report below).

It was good, but it was not the best as we’re not top of the league (the French B team won 8-1 at the weekend). Also note that our next game is likely to be much tougher, as Dong Ren trashed the Japanese of Red Cards 5-1.

I’ll send the team call for our next league game in a separate email, later.

Match report for Summer Palace vs Chaoyang Park Rangers, league game, played on Saturday 17th September 2011, Chaoyang Stadium


As defending champions of the first division it was important to make a good start of the new league season. Things did not start too smoothly however with Chaoyang Stadium being used as a concert venue and some unhelpful security staff making access to the football pitches a little difficult.

But things improved rapidly. The 18 members of our squad, plus a few supporters all made it to the pitch eventually and the rangers turned up with 11 players, which was a relief. At last we could kick off the game, although 25 minutes late.

From the start, Palace looked good, passing the ball fast and with our wide players, Ben Roberts on the left and Lee Russell on the right giving their full-backs plenty to worry about. With less than 10 minutes played, Amir opened the scoring with a great volley below the bar, following a cross by Lee Russell. Not long after that Jim So double our lead and after 30 minutes, one of the Rangers’ central defender scored an own-goal, turning Lee Russell’s fierce cross past his own goalkeeper under no particular pressure. The nearest the rangers came to reducing the deficit was just before half-time when they had a good spell and their centre-forward failed to convert into a goal a good cross that had eluded all our defense.  Half –time: 3-0 for Palace.

The second half went more or less the same way as the first did with Palace having plenty of possession, our defense doing an excellent job, but we just could not convert into goals the numerous chances we created. So the score stayed at 3-0 for another 30 minutes until Fei Yan, Lee Russell and Jim So could finally scored 3 more goals. Final score 6:0.

After the game, most of the squad members gather in Luga’s for some food and drink.

New recruit, Nils Jakobsen was voted Donkey for forgetting that he was playing full-back and Jim So got Man-of-the-Match for his brace of goals and for playing “the game of his life”.

Leave a Reply